Even if you aren’t vegan yourself, there’s a good chance that someone you know is. And they will be coming to your home or get-together soon.
What you need is an easy recipe that you can pull together quickly for just such occasions. Something exactly like these No-Bake Vegan Lemon Coconut Tarts.
The crust is a mixture of oats, cocoa, walnuts, coconut and dates held together with a touch of maple syrup. You can switch almonds for the walnuts, or leave them out entirely if you are going nut free. (The crust works best if you have a food processor for whizzing everything until it holds together.)
The filling is a simple cornstarch-thickened pudding with lots of tang to contrast with the crust.
But you don’t have to wait to make these.
Serve them to your bacon-loving 12-year-old daughter and she’ll ask for more.
- ½ cup / 125 ml oatmeal
- ½ cup / 125 ml unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup / 60 ml chopped walnuts or almonds
- ⅔ cup / 160 ml roughly chopped dates, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml maple syrup
- ½ cup / 125 ml sugar
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml cornstarch
- ⅓ cup / 80 ml lemon juice
- ½ cup / 125 ml coconut milk
- Pinch turmeric (for color)
- Line 24 mini muffin cups with paper liners.
- In food processor, combine oatmeal, coconut, nuts, dates, and cocoa. Process until the mixture is fine crumbs.
- Turn to low speed and add maple syrup. Process until the mixture begins to form a ball. It should feel soft but not sticky.
- Make balls with the mixture and place each one in each paper-lined muffin cup. Press to bottom and up sides of the muffin cups. The mixture should go at least halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Set crusts aside and make the filling.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir until thoroughly blended.
- Add lemon juice, coconut milk and turmeric. Whisk until smooth, then heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes longer, then remove from heat.
- Let cool slightly, then spoon into prepared crusts. Refrigerate until cool.