Hoisin Noodles are what you need when you don’t want to order out but don’t really want to cook, either.
They are a bit of a compromise – not exactly packed with nutrition, but better for you than most take-out.
Add some steamed veggies on the side to round things out a bit if you must.
Shake the sauce together in a mason jar and store it in the fridge: with a package of fresh noodles you can have dinner on the table in minutes.
I like to use udon noodles (even though two of my people find them “kind of gross”), but you can use whatever you have on hand.
Quick and Easy Hoisin Noodles
Serve these noodles with a side of steamed vegetables and some crispy tofu for a complete meal. Or just serve them as is for a quick meal on the go.
Servings: 4 servings as a main dish / 6-8 as a side dish
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced (or 1/4 teaspoon / 1.25 ml garlic powder)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon / 1.25 ml dried ginger
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml sweet chili sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 3.75 ml Dijon-style mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 3.75 ml brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups / 1 liter cooked or fresh noodles I use udon noodles - about 1-1/2 lbs / 800 g
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml sesame seeds
In small mixing bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients (hoisin, soy, lime juice, garlic, ginger, chili sauce, mustard and brown sugar) until smooth. Set aside.
Heat a frying pan or large saucepan over med-low heat. When the pot is hot add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
Add the noodles and toss to coat with oil. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring to keep noodles from sticking. Add chopped onions and toss with noodles.
Add sauce and toss with noodles. Cook for 5 minutes. Noodles should be well-coated with the sauce and warmed through. Remove noodles from heat and place in serving dish. Sprinkle with sesames seeds.
Noodles can be eaten warm or cold. Store leftover noodles in covered container in fridge for 1-2 days.
Leave a Reply