Taco Black Beans aren’t just for filling tacos.
These beans are fast, cheap and versatile and you can use them for a variety of quick and easy meatless meals. .
Mix up a batch of these, and you can:
- wrap them in tortillas for quick and easy burritos
- toss them with noodles, avocado, and cheddar and top with sour cream and salsa for a pasta bowl
- layer them with tortillas and cheddar for a variation on lasagna
- serve them straight with a side of rice and corn
- lay tortilla chips on a baking tray, spread the beans over and add your favorite toppings for fast and messy nachos
- spread them in a baking dish, top with cheese and serve with chips, cornbread or veggies
- spread them in a baking dish, top with cornbread and bake
Double or triple the recipe, and you can have a batch of Taco Black Beans on hand in the freezer for a meatless meal any night of the week.
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml olive oil
- ½ cup / 125 ml finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml taco seasoning
- 2 cups / 500 ml cooked black beans (or 1 19 oz / 540 ml can, drained)
- 1 cup / 250 ml salsa
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium-low heat. When the pan is heated, add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onion an cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions have begun to soften. Add the garlic and salt and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes longer until the garlic is soft. Do not let them brown. If the onions and garlic start to brown, turn down the heat.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir to coat onion mixture. Cook briefly for about ½ a minute, stirring to keep spices from sticking.
- Add black beans, salsa, water, oregano, lime juice and ground pepper. Heat until the mixture begins to simmer, then reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally as it cooks to prevent any sticking or burning.
- Add cilantro (if using) and remove from heat.