There are a gazillion versions of avocado dips available, and this Avocado Sour Cream Dip is my entry into the fray.
It’s a variation on one from Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons (one of my favorite veggie cookbooks.)
I upped the avocado and sour cream, decreased the lime and oil, and added onion and red pepper flakes.
I use dehydrated onion and garlic powder in the dip because I find fresh tends to become overpowering as the dip sits. If you prefer fresh, just sub 2 tablespoons / 30 ml fresh minced onion and 1 clove minced garlic.
Either way, serve it with some chips, crackers and veggies
An interesting fact about avocados?
The word is derived from the Aztec word ‘ahuacatl’, which means ‘testicle’.
Apparently the fruit on the tree resembles the aforementioned.
A new fact for a new year.
May you find many more in 2017 :).
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml lime juice
- 2 avocados
- ¼ cup / 60 ml sour cream
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml coriander
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml chili pepper flakes
- Pour lime juice into small mixing bowl.
- Peel, deseed and roughly chop avocado. Toss with lime juice and gently mash avocado with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until evenly combined.
- If possible, let the dip sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving to give the flavors time to blend.
- Serve with tortilla chips and vegetables.