This Mediterranean Tortellini is what you need when winter has settled over your world.
Pretend it away with olives and feta.
Since you can make it with things you can keep on hand in the freezer or pantry, there’s no need to travel on icy roads.
You can save that time to think about spring.
- 4 cups / 1 liter uncooked tortellini
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped (about 1 cup / 250 ml)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup slivered sun-dried tomatoes see note
- 12 Kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml chopped artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml chopped spinach I use thawed frozen spinach, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon /15 ml dried
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon / 1.25 ml freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup / 250 ml crumbled feta cheese
Bring a large pot of water to boiling point and add tortellini. Return to boiling point, then turn off heat and remove from the burner. Let the tortellini sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. When the pan is heated, add the oil and swirl to coat pan. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Do not let vegetables brown. If they start to brown, turn down the heat.
Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and artichoke hearts. Stir to coat with onion mixture and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the spinach, parsley, oregano, basil, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Cook for an additional 5 minutes over low heat.
Drain the tortellini and toss with the onion mixture and feta cheese. Serve warm.
I never buy sun-dried tomatoes in oil because they are far more expensive than dried tomatoes without oil. In this recipe I use the dried tomatoes without soaking them in water to soften them up. They will soften as they cook with the other ingredients. If you prefer, you can soak them for a couple of minutes in hot water before draining and using in the recipe.
This was a delicious, satisfying, quick and healthy meal my whole family enjoyed.
I’m so glad you liked it! This is one of my favorites. Thanks for taking the time to let me know 🙂