These Festive Eggnog Tarts are great for the holidays.
They are rum-and-nutmeg traditional, and super quick to put together. Use frozen tart shells and you can have these ready to go in half an hour.
The custard filling takes only a few minutes to stir together. Pour it into your shells and just bake until set.
The rum flavor is not overwhelming, but if you prefer a non-alcoholic version you can substitute vanilla.
Once you discover how easy these tarts are to make, they will be sure to earn a place in your holiday recipe collection.
- 12 (3-inch / 7 cm) tart shells
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml sugar
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup / 187 ml eggnog
- 1-1/2 tablespoons / 22.5 ml rum (or 1 teaspoon / 5 ml rum extract)
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml nutmeg, plus more for sprinkling over top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C.
- Place tart shells on baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until pastry has puffed up slightly but is not browned.
- While tarts are baking, stir sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add egg and beat until smooth. Add eggnog, rum and nutmeg and stir until thoroughly blended.
- Pour filling into prepared tart shells.
- Turn oven temperature down to 325 degrees F / 162 degrees C.
- Place filled tarts in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until pastry is lightly browned and center of tarts is set.
- Remove tarts from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When cool, sprinkle with additional nutmeg.
-Replace rum with and equal amount of brandy, or with 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
-Add 1 teaspoon grated orange rind to eggnog before adding to egg mixture.
-Sprinkle with grated white chocolate when cool.