You’re tired of the same old same old.
You need something new.
You want to try more meatless meals, but it’s pretty hard to miss with ham and swiss.
It’s time to give this Chickpea Sandwich Spread a go.
Only six ingredients (excluding salt and pepper) and you’re on your way.
Simply rough up some chickpeas, toss in a chopped green onion and stir in a mayo flavored with avocado, lime juice and chili flakes.
It’s that simple.
You can even make it vegan by using an eggless mayonnaise like this one from Melissa Joulwan’s Well Fed.
(And when you’re done, you can horrify your children by rubbing the avocado peels over your hands and face for a natural, chemical-free moisturizer.)
- 2 cups / 250 ml cooked chickpeas
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup / 80 ml mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml lime juice
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml dried chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mash the chickpeas in a bowl, or pulse in the food processor until they are broken up a bit.
- In separate bowl, toss avocado with the lime juice (this will keep the avocado from turning brown).
- Add mayonnaise and stir until until mixed.
- Sprinkle with chili peppers and salt and pepper to taste.