This spinach-free Hot Artichoke Dip is my favorite version.
It’s super simple and fast to make, and can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance. I use dried onions instead of fresh to keep the dip from being overpowered, which can happen sometimes with fresh onions when they sit too long. (I use garlic powder instead of fresh for the same reason, but you do what works for you.)
You won’t need any additional salt as the marinated artichokes have got that covered.
It’s not the prettiest dip you are ever going to see, but that’s okay: it’s warm and delicious and it feeds your people.
For me this recipe is a flashback to my first teaching job, and the potlucks we had back then. I’d park myself by the crackers and the dip which one of my coworkers would always bring. Her original recipe had only three ingredients – artichokes, Parmesan and mayo. I like it with the addition of sour cream, onion, garlic and mozza.
It’s still just as fast and simple, even if life is maybe less so twenty-fivish years later.
This hot appetizer can be prepared iup to a day in advance and baked when you need it. Serve it with bread or crackers.
- 1 cup / 250 ml chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml dried onion flakes (or 1/3 cup / 80 ml finely chopped fresh onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml garlic powder
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml sour cream
- 1/2 cup / 1 25 ml grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml finely grated Parmesan (or other hard cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 176 degrees C. Lightly grease a 1-qt / 1 liter pie dish or baking dish.
Mix all ingredients in medium bowl until evenly mixed. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until dip is bubbly and lightly browned.
Dip will be very hot when it comes out of the oven. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving to prevent burns.