Pineapple Coconut Bundt Cake is easy to make and will taste even better the day after you make it.
It’s the kind of thing I like this time of year – a nod to something tropical while I wait winter out.
A teaspoon / 5 ml of coconut extract amps up the flavor, but if you can’t find any near you, don’t worry. It will be fine with a teaspoon / 5 ml of vanilla instead.
If you don’t have a bundt pan, you can bake this in a 9×13-inch / 23×33 cm pan and reduce your baking time to 25-30 minutes.
This cake would work well with a cream cheese icing if that’s your thing. I prefer a simple glaze made with icing sugar and pineapple juice.
The cake isn’t overly sweet, but isn’t austere either so it appeals to a wide range of eaters.
Store any left over pineapple in a glass or plastic container in the fridge.
- 1 cup / 250 ml vegetable oil
- 1 cup / 250 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml coconut extract
- 1 cup / 250 ml sour cream
- 1 cup / 250 ml drained, crushed unsweetened pineapple (reserve juice for glaze)
- 3 cups / 750 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 cup / 250 ml unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml baking powder
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml baking soda
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml salt
- 1 cup / 250 ml icing (or confectioner's) sugar
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 177 degrees C. Grease a bundt pan, or 9x13-inch / 23x33 cm baking pan.
- In large mixing bowl, beat oil, sugar, eggs and coconut extract until thick and smooth. Add pineapple and sour cream and stir until well-blended.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, coconut, baking powder. baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into pineapple mixture until no streaks of flour are visible. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon into prepared pan, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set pan on cooling rack. Let the cake sit for 10 minutes in baking pan, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, stir together the icing sugar and pineapple juice to make a smooth glaze. Spoon over cooled cake and serve.