Spring is a capricious season in the Maritimes.
Any given April could have you wading through gumboot-sucking muck, or battling thigh-high snowdrifts.
Still, the geese return, the sap runs and we muddle through it somehow- dreaming of warmer havens, with fresh lemons and rosemary bushes as tall as a person.
These Roasted Lemon Rosemary Potatoes with Feta bring to mind such Mediterranean places, and provide a tangy side to your main – from roast meats to frittatas. Or serve it with some hummus and olives for a vegetarian meal.
(If you are in Atlantic Canada, give Holmestead feta a try. It’s produced in Nova Scotia, and is available at local grocery stores. It is my new favorite feta – just the right balance of tang and salt, with a creamy texture that crumbles nicely.)
- 10-12 medium potatoes, scrubbed (or 2 lbs / 1 kg baby potatoes)
- ¼ cup / 60 ml olive oil
- ⅓ cup / 80 ml lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon / 3.75 ml salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml honey
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup / 125 ml crumbled feta
- Cut potatoes into large chunks - each potato should make 6-8 pieces.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Let potatoes sit while you make dressing. Mix olive oil, lemon juice salt, rosemary and honey in small bowl. Drain potatoes and toss with dressing.
- You can let potatoes sit to cool in the dressing, or cook immediately.
- To cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Leave a baking sheet in the oven while it preheats.
- When the oven is ready, remove the baking sheet and spread potatoes out on the hot tray. Pour any remaining dressing over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and place in oven.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and golden brown. You do not need to stir the potatoes during cooking.
- Remove from oven and place cooked potatoes on serving dish. Sprinkle with crumbled feta.
- You can garnish with additional chopped rosemary, parsley or oregano.