My middle daughter turned ten and I was born near the middle of another century.
Middle of life.
Muddle of it, too, it seems at times.
A clutter of chaos.
I think people take pictures so that they can tame it. Contain the complexity in frames.
I think I don’t because for me the edges are always blurred.
But none of that has anything to do with this.
Something simple that attends to itself while you are distracted by the whooshing by of life.
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 1-1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Put powdered milk and sugar in blender.
- Blend briefly until mixed.
- Boil water and butter together on stove top or in microwave.
- Pour in blender with vanilla.
- Blend on low briefly then scrape down sides and bottom of blender.
- Blend on medium or high for 45-60 seconds, stopping to scape sides if needed.
- When thoroughly mixed, pour into 4 (250 ml) clean canning jars. Screw on lids and place in slow cooker.
- Cover with water by 1" and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until the milk has turned a caramel color. The time will depend on your slow cooker. The first time you make this, you will have to check periodically to see how it is coming along.
- It is important to keep the jars covered with water because canning jars are designed for use in water.
While this caramel is made in canning jars, it CANNOT be stored at room temperature. It must be refrigerated, and will last in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Milk and other low-acid food products require special canning techniques in order to ensure food safety.