Whatever is happening, you still need to eat. You still need to feed your people.
So here’s One Pot Pasta and Lentils.
There’s not a lot of fuss.
You can add extra vegetables to it. Or not.
You can let your mind meander through memories of times and people lost.
(And here’s a tip: those details that you swore you would always remember are fragile. They are much more delicate than they appear. They are so tied to their moments that when untethered they begin to dissolve.
And you will wonder if you were ever really paying attention now that it is too late.)
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup / 250 ml)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- 2 cup / 500 ml uncooked pasta
- ½ cup / em>125 ml red lentils
- 3 cups / 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 can (28 oz / 796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml lemon juice
- ¼ cup / 60 ml chopped parsley
- 2 cups / 500 ml chopped spinach or kale optional
- ½ cup / 125 ml grated Parmesan or other hard cheese optional
Heat pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add oil.
Add onions to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until onions have softened. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Do not let onions and garlic brown. If they start to brown, turn down the heat.
Add salt. Stir to mix in with onions, then add pasta, lentils, vegetable stock, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, pepper and lemon juice.
Bring mixture to boiling point, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure mixture doesn’t stick.
Remove lid. Add parsley (and spinach and Parmesan if using). Heat for one minute longer (or until cheese has melted, if using).
Remove from heat and serve
Recipe updated December 8th, 2017.