Ketchup With That is two years old today, and we celebrated with Gingerbread Waffles.
These buttermilk waffles are lightly spiced and perfect for a holiday breakfast. (I like mine with some sauteed apple slices and plenty of maple syrup.)
Between now and New Years, I’ll be working on some changes to the blog – including updating my theme and adding a few new features. The newsletter will also be up and running regularly in January.
As a thank-you to my Ketchup readers, I’ve put together a 2016 coloring calendar that you can download for free. It’s a simple black-and-white calendar with a coloring page for each month.
Print it out double-sided on cardstock or heavier weight paper for the best results. It uses 8.5 x 11-inch / 215 x 299 mm paper.
There will be more recipes posted here between now and Christmas, so I hope you are able to drop in for a visit!
- 1 cup / 250 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 cup / 250 ml whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml baking soda
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon / 1.25 ml nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon / .65 ml cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon / .65 ml ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cup / 310 ml buttermilk or sour milk see note
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml orange juice
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml oil
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml molasses
Preheat waffle iron (according to the instructions for your appliance).
Stir together all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ground pepper.
In separate bowl, beat together eggs, buttermilk, orange juice, oil and molasses.
Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir until blended. Do not overmix. Batter will be a bit lumpy, but there should be no streaks of flour visible.
Spoon batter into heated waffle iron and close lid. When the waffles are cooked, keep them warm in the oven while you cook the remaining batter.
To make sour milk, pour 1-1/2 tablespoon / 22.5 ml of vinegar into bottom of a measuring cup. Add 1-1/4 / 310 ml cups of milk. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes before using in recipe.