Ready-in-an-Instant Red Lentil Dahl is what you need on those evenings when you are busy and stressing and wondering how you can possibly feed your people without swearing at something.
Those evenings when the siren call of the local fast food take-out signals its way into your distracted brain.
Instant Red Lentil Dahl has you covered.
Go home, dump it into a pot, add water. Bring to boil and wait 20 minutes.
Serve it with some flatbread and veggies and you have a cheap, nutritious meatless meal without any cussing.
No time for that?
Put it in the slow cooker and the dahl cooks itself.
If you do have a bit of time, you can cook some rice or potatoes (try adding cauliflower and peas) to serve with.
Students in your life?
Pack a jar or two in a care kit to accompany them to campus. (If those students are vegan, no problem – Instant Red Lentil Dahl is, too.)
Happy Monday 🙂 .
- 1 cup / 250 ml uncooked red lentils
- 3 tablespoons / 45 ml dehydrated onions
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml garlic powder
- Spice mix (see note)
- To cook: 4 cups / 1 liter water or vegetable stock
- Place lentils, onions, garlic powder and spice mix in a jar. Cover and store until needed.
- Best if used within 6 months.
- To cook:
- Empty lentils into a medium saucepan. Add 4 cups water or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve over rice or potatoes, or with flatbread.
1 tablespoon / 15 ml cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml coriander
1 teaspoon / 5 ml salt
1 teaspoon / 5 ml cinnamon
1 teaspoon / 5 ml ginger
1 teaspoon / 5 ml paprika
1 teaspoon / 5 ml turmeric
1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml ground pepper