Strawberries are a sign that summer has well and truly arrived.
This No-Bake Strawberry Lemon Cream Layered Dessert allows you to showcase the seasonal berries while beating the heat.
A bit of balsamic vinegar brings out the flavor of the berries. (You can use white balsamic if you don’t want it to show.)
The recipe calls for ladyfingers, which you can find in the cookie section of most grocery stores. Leftover cake will work, too.
Let the dessert sit in the fridge for at least an hour to give the ladyfingers time to soften up and absorb some of the lemon cream.
You can make this with any berries in season: blueberries and raspberries, or a combination.
For blueberries (or a berry combo), substitute lemon or orange juice for the balsamic. If you are using raspberries, omit the vinegar and brown sugar and just use the berries as is.
- 2 packages (150 g / 5 oz each) ladyfingers (or substitute 4 cups / 1 liter of 1 inch / 2.5 cm cake cubes)
- ½ cup / 125 ml lemonade
- 4 cups / 1 liter fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml brown sugar
- 1 package (8 oz / 225 g) cream cheese
- 1 can condensed milk
- ½ cup / 125 ml lemon juice
- 1 cup / 250 ml whipping cream
- Toss berries with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Let the berries sit while you prepare the rest of the dessert.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until softened and smooth. Add condensed milk and lemon juice and beat until well combined.
- Add the whipping cream and beat at low speed until the cream is incorporated in the the cream cheese mixture. Increase speed to high until the mixture has increased in volume and will form soft peaks when you lift the beaters.
- Using half the ladyfingers, dip them briefly in lemonade and place on the bottom of a 9x9 inch / 23x23 cm dish. If you are using cake cubes, toss half the cubes lightly with half of the lemonade and place in dish.
- Pour half of the Lemon Cream over the ladyfingers, and top with half of the strawberries.
- Repeat for second layer.
- Refrigerate the dish for at least one hour before serving. It can be refrigerated for up to a day before serving. Leftovers will keep for a day or two in the fridge.
!Blueberries: Omit balsamic vinegar and substitute 1 tablespoon / 15 ml lemon or orange juice.
!Raspberries: Omit balsamic vinegar and brown sugar.
!Mixed berries: Omit balsamic vinegar and substitute 1 tablespoon / 15 ml lemon or orange juice.