Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili could be the recipe that makes you a fan of slow cooking (if you aren’t already).
It’s easy, cheap, and doesn’t have that ‘this-must-have-been-cooked-in-the-slow-cooker-because-it-tastes-like-everything-else-I’ve-cooked-in-it’ taste.
(You know the one!)
Start with uncooked beans, and don’t worry. They’ll cook up just fine.
One thing first, though: boil your beans for 10 minutes before you cook them in the slow cooker. Many dried beans contain a substance called phytohaemagglutinin, which can cause serious gastrointestinal illness if it isn’t neutralized through cooking at a sufficiently high temperature.
Some beans, like red and white kidney beans, are particularly dangerous if not cooked properly. But with all slow-cooked beans, it is best to bring them to a rapid boil on the stove and boil for at least 10 minutes before using them.
Boil your beans while you are chopping your onions and assembling the other ingredients – there’s no time lost.
Serve the chili with salsa, avocado, cheese… whatever your preference. The chili itself is vegan, so just set the toppings on the table and your people can suit themselves.
- 2 cups / 500 ml uncooked black beans
- 2 cups / 500 ml finely chopped onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons / 45 ml taco seasoning
- 1 cup / 250 ml salsa
- 6 cups /1.5 liters vegetable stock
- ¼ cup / 60 ml lime juice
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml oregano
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml salt
- Place black beans in saucepan and cover with cold water by at least 2 inches / 5 cm. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat and boil for at least 10 minutes.
- While beans are boiling, chop onions and garlic. Place in slow cooker with taco seasoning, salsa, vegetable stock, lime juice, oregano and salt.
- When beans are ready, drain and add to the slow cooker.
- Stir ingredients, then cover and turn cooker to high.
- Cook for 4 hours or until beans are tender and the chili has thickened.
- Mash some of the beans, and let cook for 30 more minutes.
- Serve hot, or refrigerate for 1-2 days and reheat.