Maple Walnut Bars are easy to make, and they have maple syrup in them.
Pretty much win win.
The maple topping isn’t runny. If you prefer something more pecan pie-ish, you can cut the flour to 2-3 tablespoons / 30-45 ml and reduce the eggs to 2.
The bars unadapted are firm enough to cut cleanly, so they look good for serving.
And since 9×13-inch / 23×33 cm pan makes about 48 bars, they are great for a crowd.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup / 125 ml brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons / 60 ml flour
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup / 250 ml maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml vanilla
- 2 cups / 500 ml chopped walnuts (toasted, or untoasted - see note)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 176 degrees C.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch / 22x33 cm baking pan, and line with parchment paper so that the paper extends past the top of the side edges. (You will use this to lift the bars out of the pan when they are cooked.)
- Mix together flour, salt and sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly and there are no pieces of butter larger than a small pea. If you have a food processor, you can whizz the ingredients until it looks like crumbs.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the topping.
- Stir together brown sugar and flour until evenly blended. Stir in salt.
- Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Stir in maple syrup, vanilla and walnuts.
- Pour the topping over the baked crust, and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. The topping should be browned and not jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and let the bars cool for 5 minutes. Lift them from the pan with the parchment paper and let cool on a rack. .
- When the bars are completely cool, cut into bars and serve.
- Store bars in a closed container.
Place nuts in a cold frypan. Turn heat to medium-low and stir nuts frequently as they heat. The nuts will start to smell fragrant when they begin to toast. Remove them from the heat - they will continue to toast slightly with the heat of the pan. Let cool and use in recipe.
Try adding 1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml orange zest to the topping.