Instant Salsa Mix is one of those things you whip up in an emergency, then discover that it’s pretty alright and end up always keeping on hand.
If you have a thing against canned tomatoes, don’t run away. You can use this with fresh tomatoes, too.
Plus there are no mysterious additives and you get to control the sodium content.
The mix is great to have on hand for camping or cottaging – fewer jars of this and that to contend with.
Add black beans and corn and a side of rice and you’ve got dinner.
You can eat your salsa right away, but it will taste better if it gets at least an hour to mellow.
- 4 teaspoons / 20 ml salt
- 4 teaspoons / 20 ml brown sugar
- ¾ cup / 185 ml dried parsley
- ¼ cup / 60 ml dehydrated onions
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml dried basil
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml dried chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons / 40 ml cumin
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons / 20 ml ground coriander
- Mix all ingredients together and stir until thoroughly blended. Store in an airtight jar or container.
- Empty a small can (14.5 oz / 540 ml) of diced tomatoes, or two cups of diced fresh tomatoes into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional).
- Stir in 2-3 tablespoons / 30-45 ml of instant salsa mix.
- Let sit for at least one hour then serve.
- Add 1 cup / 250 ml each of black beans and corn to tomatoes and salsa mix.