Tofu, cantaloupe and red peppers brushed with a sweet chili sauce and grilled or baked.
You can prepare the kebabs ahead of time and brush with the sauce when you are ready to cook them.
The skewers are colorful and I think quite pretty.
Serve one on the side, or two or three as a main.
Simple and summery (any time of year).
- 12 oz / 350 g package extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup / 60 ml cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml pepper
- ½ small cantaloupe, peeled and cut into 2-inch / 3.25 cm cubes
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-1/2 inch / 3.25 cm squares
- ¼ of a small red onion, cut into wedges
- ⅓ cup / 80 ml sweet Thai or Chinese chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml garlic powder)
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml minced fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon / 5 ml dried ginger)
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml warm water
- 10 bamboo skewers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F / 204 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the tofu in half horizontally and place each half on one half of a clean towel. Cover the tofu with the other half of the towel and press firmly to absorb any excess liquid.
- Cut each half of tofu into 15 cubes.
- Combine the cornstarch, salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Add the tofu cubes and toss to coat.
- Place the tofu on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cubes are lightly browned.
- While tofu is baking, prepare the sauce by combining the chili sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil and warm water until thoroughly mixed.
- When tofu is baked, remove from oven and let cool slightly then prepare skewers.
- For each skewer, combine as follows: tofu, pepper, cantaloupe, onion (repeat once) and end with an additional cube of tofu.
- Brush the prepared skewers with the chili sauce mixture. Grill lightly until cantaloupe and peppers are slightly softened, or bake in 400 degree F / 204 degrees C oven for 10 minutes.