With all that is going on in the world, it’s hard to imagine that something like hot sauce can generate so much energetic discussion. But it certainly seems to.
And I have to admit that I’m pretty much woefully unqualified to weigh in with any authority. Except to say go with whatever suits your mood, taste buds or wallet. This Vegan Buffalo Sauce will work with whatever.
It’s all good.
You can play with the quantity of hot sauce to suit your tastes. I find the 1/4 cup (60 ml) is hot enough for me, and slightly too hot for my kids.
In addition to the all important hot sauce, this version uses olive oil instead of butter, and in place of Worcestershire makes use of a touch of molasses and dry mustard.
The sauce tends to separate as it sits, but a quick stir will bring it back together.
Not sure what to do with it?
- ¼ cup / 60 ml olive oil
- ¼ cup / 60 ml hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon / 3.75 ml molasses
- Stir or whisk all ingredients together in small saucepan until well mixed.
- Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Use the sauce immediately or let cool. If the sauce separates slightly when cool, whisk gently to restore consistency. Store unused sauce in the fridge.