This Four Ingredient Butterscotch Fruit Dip allows you to indulge your sweet tooth without feeling like you are going over the top.
It’s perfect with sliced apples for a quick dessert, and a small bowl will entice younger humans to eat their fruit at snack time. It also works as a spread for Saturday morning bagels.
Melt your butter and brown sugar and cook for a few bubbly minutes. Add vanilla and let it all cool. While the mixture is cooling, beat your cream cheese. Add the cooled butterscotch and blend until it’s all smooth.
One batch with fruit for dipping serves 4-6. The recipe can be doubled or tripled easily for larger or hungrier groups.
(And personally, I like to eat this with a spoon – hold the fruit.)
- ¼ cup / 60 ml salted butter
- ¼ cup / 60 ml brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml vanilla
- 4 oz / 113 g cream cheese, softened
- In small saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together over medium-low heat.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, turn heat to low and cook for 2-3 minutes. It should be slightly thick and a rich butterscotch brown color. Stir frequently as it cooks to prevent burning.
- Stir in vanilla and remove pan from heat and let mixture cool to room temperature.
- While butterscotch is cooling, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add cool butterscotch and beat until thoroughly blended.
- Serve with fruit for dipping.