Need something to bring to a potluck?
Not sure who is going to be there?
These days putting something together that accommodates diverse dietary needs can be challenging.
This Sweet Potato Dip has got you covered. It is:
- gluten free
- dairy free
- nut free
- AND (most importantly) tasty
You’ll need to bake your sweet potato, so just wrap one in aluminum foil and toss into the oven while you are cooking something else. It should take about an hour at 350 degrees F / 176 degrees C to get nice and soft.
Cook the sweet potato in advance – it will keep in the fridge for several days until you need it.
After that, all you need to do is whizz your potato in the food processor with some coconut milk, lime juice, spices and seasonings and you’re ready to go. (If you don’t have a food processor, just mix by hand with a spoon or whisk.)
I use dried onion flakes because the taste of fresh onions gets stronger as they sit. Dried flakes add onion zip without becoming overwhelming.
This dip is great as is, but also provides a good base for improvisation if you are feeling creative. Add some fresh chilis? Toss in fresh herbs? You decide.
It’s always good to know you’ve got something up your sleeve.
- 1 large sweet potato, baked and mashed (see notes) - about 1-1/2 cups / 375 ml
- ⅓ cup / 80 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml lime juice
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml cumin
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoons / 7.5 ml dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25 ml ground pepper
- Mash sweet potato and place in bowl of food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes to give flavors time to meld.
- If you do not have a food processor, blend ingredients by hand with a spoon or whisk until very smooth.
Wrap in aluminum foil and bake in 350 F degree / 176 degree C oven until soft (about 1 hour). Make sure it is well wrapped so that the potato doesn't leak as it starts to soften.
When soft, remove from oven and let cool in fridge until you are ready to use it. It will keep in the fridge for several days.
For energy efficiency, prepare the sweet potato in advance while you are baking other dishes in your oven. Don't worry if the temperature is higher or lower than 350 degrees F / 176 degrees C - just bake the sweet potato until it is soft.