(To new Ketchup With That readers: sometimes the introduction to recipes on this blog are a reflection on what is happening in the world/my community, more than a description of the recipe. You will find the recipe at the bottom of the post. Thank you!)
What did you see today?
Whose face turned towards you?
What of the streaming world you waded through can you recall?
The blurred rush, and our heads down with hearts preoccupied.
But every miraculous thing in this creation lives in our fully focused gaze.
If we were paying attention, we would be constantly amazed by the world around us.
How it speaks.
How it could break our hearts a thousand times each day.
How we could string the pieces together into something beautiful still.
For all the things we’ve said and not said;
For all the love we wasted like loose change;
For all the kindnesses intended, but never acted out.
For all the souls we never stopped to marvel at.
Rest in peace.
- 1 cup / 250 ml medium whole grain bulgur
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml coarsely chopped dates about 10 dried dates
- 2 cups / 500 ml orange juice
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml honey
- 1/2 onion about 1/2 cup / 125 ml, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon / 7.5 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- 1/4 teaspoon / 1.25 ml pepper
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml crumbled feta
Place bulgur and dates in a large mixing bowl.
Combine orange juice and honey in separate bowl or pan, and heat to boiling point in microwave or on stove.
Pour heated juice over bulgur and let sit for 15-20 minutes so that the bulgur absorbs the juice.
While bulgur is soaking, heat a frying pan over medium heat.
Add olive oil and coat pan. Add chopped onion and cook until softened. Do not let the onions brown. If they start to brown, turn down the heat.
Add cinnamon to pan and stir to coat the onions. Add salt and pepper and cook for about 1 minute.
Remove onions from pan. Add walnuts and stir frequently over medium heat until the nuts are lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
Add onions, nuts and chopped mint to soaked bulgur. Toss gently and fluff with a fork.
Let cool completely, then place in serving dish.
Top with pomegranate seeds and feta.