Everyone should have a good pound cake recipe in their collection, and this one to consider.
It is dense – like a good pound cake should be – and stores well.
This variation uses sour cream and a small bit of leavening, with some orange zest for flavor. You can adapt the flavorings to fit what suits you.
It’s simple, and makes a great base for a Strawberry White Chocolate Cheesecake Trifle.
Bake one up for someone you love.
- 1 cup / 250 ml butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups / 375 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup / 125 ml sour cream
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml orange zest
- 2 cups / 500 ml all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml baking soda
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml baking powder
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5 ml salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (163 degrees C).
- Grease a 9x5-inch (23x13-cm) loaf pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until light. Add sugar (about ⅓ at a time) beating well after each addition so that sugar is fully incorporated into butter.
- When all the sugar has been added, the butter should be light and airy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until each egg is mixed in.
- Add sour cream and orange zest.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, gently mixing in until no flour is visible. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for approximately 60 minutes. The top should be golden brown.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Loosen sides, then remove from pan and let cake cool completely on a rack. Remove parchment paper from bottom of the cake before serving.