It has been a summer of collectives.
A clowder of cats.
A clutch of chicks.
A paddling of ducks.
An embarrassment of zucchini.
Two modest seeds grew to alien heights and produced and produced and produced.
Zucchini – grated in the freezer, simmered into jam, grilled on the barbecue.
And it keeps coming. Even the chickens are tired of it.
I’ve become one of those people: the owner of an eternally yapping (but much-loved) dog and the persitent profferer of exuberant marrow. (No, really – take some!)
Time for more muffins.
- 1-1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease or line muffins tins for baking 18 muffins.
- Mix together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar and flax meal.
- In separate bowl, combine zucchini, orange juice, applesauce, and eggs.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently stir in raisins and nuts (if using).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.