Everyone needs diversion from time to time.
Not all the time – then it is just distraction.
But sometimes a pleasant diversion keeps an anxious mind from travelling the same old channels just long enough to find less rutted ground.
There is nothing nutritionally redeemable about these bars.
They are, however, a fast and simple pleasure to put together on those anxious days.
This is a variation of the popular bars known as ‘Magic Bars’, ‘Seven Layer Bars’, ‘Hello Dollies’ or even ‘Garbage Bars’.
My version uses Slow Cooker Caramel Sauce in place of regular condensed milk. You can buy Dulce de Leche condensed milk (made by Eagle Brand) if it is available in your area, but that sort of thing is outrageously expensive here. Making your own is a lot cheaper.
These bars are very sweet. I recommend offsetting the sweetness a bit by using nuts or even chopped pretzels in the mix of toppings sprinkled over the base. Using unsweetened coconut helps, too.
- 1-1/2 cups graham crumbs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup white chocolate chips*
- ½ cups milk chocolate chips*
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips*
- ½ cup chopped walnuts*
- 1 250 ml (1 cup) jar of Slow Cooker Caramel Sauce (or 1 can Dulce de Leche condensed milk)
- ⅓ cup milk (omit if using store-bought condensed milk)
- 1 cup unsweeted coconut, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix graham crumbs and butter together and press into bottom of 9x9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over base.
- In small bowl, mix together caramel sauce and milk and pour over ingredients in pan.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut over.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven. Set on wire rack until bars are completely cooled. They will firm up as they cool.
- Cut into small squares and serve.
- These bars freeze well.