I tell my girls, when they balk at eating something, that only people with good fortune and full bellies have the luxury of not liking food.
It is easy to forget in the midst of our abundance that food is not a mere commodity.
The problem of global hunger is a huge one, but I believe that it is within our collective power to solve.
When we recognize that it is not the result of forces beyond our control, but the result of political action or inaction. Policies made or unmade.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can)
- 2 cups prepared salsa
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat pan over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Do not let the onion or garlic brown.
- Add cumin and salt to pan and cook for 30 seconds or until cumin is fragrant.
- Add beans, salsa, water, corn and oregano and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.