It’s easy to forget in the constant whirr of this, that, here, there.
Heads down, moving forward, counting…
Great love is built in those small, countless, inconsequential moments when we stop. Look up. And see.
In our kitchens, too, food becomes a distraction. Competition and obligation instead of connection.
We miss the opportunities to smile.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, oil, molasses and egg. Beat thoroughly.
- In separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients except granulated sugar.
- Add flour mixture to oil mixture and stir until blended together.
- Form dough into 1-1/2 inch balls. Roll each ball in the granulated sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart of parchment lined sheets. Cookies will spread as they bake.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. If you like your cookies very crisp, bake for an additional minute.You may have to experiment with the time depending on your oven.
Image of cat by Yumi Kimura from Yokohama, JAPAN (so happy smiling cat) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons